Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Let the Games Begin!!!

One month shy of one year ago I decided to renew my health and fitness lifestyle. It obviously did not last because today I find myself making that same decision.

So why should this year be different? 

Unlike last year, this year I actually feel bad both physically and emotionally. I haven't felt this yucky in a very long time, probably not since 1991. I had gone to the Hopewell track with Jan, who was doing fitness walking, to walk and while there I tried to run a quarter mile. I was huffing and puffing after 100 yards and realized that at 38 I was a complete toad.  So I vowed then to make the necessary changes in my lifestyle to become more healthy and fit.  It worked too, I maintained a healthy and fit existence for almost 20 years going so far as to run marathons, 4 in all, which I am still very proud of having accomplished considering that, depending where you get the information, it is believed that approximately only .1% to 2% of the worlds population has ever completed a 26.2 mile race.

Now though, at 58 I feel almost the same way as I did at 38, no, actually I feel even worse! I have been pedaling to the beach at the park near my house (1.5 miles to be exact) almost every day for the last 3 months. I stop, do a few Sun Salutations, my favorite stretching exercise, then walk/run around the .65 loop of the park. I am only able to run no more than 3 or 4 tenths of a mile before I am winded and have to slow down to a walk again. Besides gasping for air, my legs, from the knees down, feel like cement blocks attached where my calves should be!

But even more disturbing is the fact that I just don't feel healthy in general.  I left my job at the Tiki Bar in August and haven't really worked since, and I believe the lack of any real structure in my daily routine, other than the little bit of exercising every morning, has caused a bit of depression.  I work out, but then spend the rest of the day doing almost nothing.  Sitting at the computer, watching T.V., generally just being a lazy ass.

That is all about to change.  I was in Pennsylvania early in the fall visiting my son, then I spent Thanksgiving with my daughter, and I saw how hard they both workout.  They both have, and USE their gym memberships, and seem to enjoy a healthy lifestyle.  I'd like to believe that my commitment to health and fitness as they were growing up had something to do with them making the decision to pursue fitness the same way.  Now though, they have challenged me to make good on a challenge that I proposed to them years ago.  I always told them that some day I wanted to run a 10k race with the two of them.  They never took me up on the idea.... until now!!

Since moving to Florida we have tried to get together to attend a Steeler game every season.  As yet the three of us haven't been able to work it out.  One year Joey and I made it to a Tampa Bay / Green Bay game, last year he and I did the STEELERS / Tampa Bay and Jenna and I saw the STEELERS / Miami, and this year I just got back from seeing the STEELERS / Chiefs with her.  She has suggested that next season the three of us get together for a STEELER game somewhere where we can also run a 10k the same weekend.

So, the gauntlet has been thrown down and I am going to start a serious lifestyle change so that we can accomplish this fete.  I have joined a gym myself, Lifestyle Fitness Center, just 1.8 miles from my house.  Starting tomorrow I pedal THERE instead of to the beach.  I also start working again at the new Bonefish Grill in the same Plaza as the fitness center, so I won't just be working out then coming home and sitting on my ass anymore.  CHANGE IS IN THE AIR!!!

I am considering putting a few "before" pictures on this blog, but I'm not sure my vanity will allow me to let anyone see me as I look right now, but who knows, perhaps I'll lose my modesty and post 'em anyway.

Let the Games Begin!!!!

No comments: