Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas present


Santa Claus came to my house yesterday in the form of the UPS man.  Jenna bought me a pair of Asics GT-2160's.  According to Runnersworld Magazine, they are the best running shoe in the world.

In spite of my desire to avoid the treadmill and run outside for my cardio workouts, since joining the gym I have done nothing but run on the treadmill.  Oh, I pedal my bike to Lifestyle, but that's just meant to be a little warm up, cool down.

Today that changed and I drove, yea, drove, to the park for a short run.  Usually I do pedal but it is a very windy day, and since I have to work tonight, I didn't want to over do it.

Anyway, I got to the park with my new "Best Shoe in the World" on and began my run.  They make my feet feel like they are surrounded, upper and lower, by pillows.  They are very light weight, and they have great cushioning while at the same time allowing me to feel my foot strike on the pavement.  My last three pairs of Nike's have not felt nearly this good and if these Asics hold up for three or four months, I may be converted.

I start with a brisk walk.  The loop around the park has markings every .10 miles and I do 4/10's before starting my run.  I have to admit, it's not really a run, but more of a slow jog.  I do 2/10's then slow to a walk again.  I am not yet at the point where I can go more than a quarter to a half mile without huffing and puffing.  In all for the workout I run 1.2 miles with .6 total miles of walking breaks.  Not too bad for the first outdoor running in almost a month.

The running I had been doing since September was becoming a bummer and had been bringing me down.  I could actually feel the extra layer of fat around my midsection and around my chest bouncing and jiggling as I ran.  Today I didn't notice that, well, not as much anyway.  Strength training and a better diet has me feeling good again.

I know that in time I will be able to break through that wall of huffing and puffing that slows me to a walk after a quarter mile or so.  I just need to stay persistent and break through that imaginary wall.  I know from experience that it's just a matter of time before I will work through that huffing and puffing, my breathing and heart rate will settle into a groove, and I'll be able to coast along at a natural pace that will carry me on for miles and miles.

It will just take a little Patience, a lot of commitment, dedication, and consistency to get there.  I have all four!

No comments: